10 Productivity-Inspiring Podcasts for PR and Marketing Pros
[By Lisa Davis]
Podcasting certainly isn’t new, but the wonderfully affordable and portable medium continues to see a steady rise in popularity and subscriber volumes: There are more than 250,000 unique podcasts available in the iTunes store, and Americans listen to approximately 21.1 million hours of podcasts per day (Source: Edison Research).
With an incredibly diverse and niche list of topics to choose from, there is a podcast for everyone. For marketers and PR pros — whether you’re new in your career or a seasoned veteran — there is a long list of podcasts worthy of your listening time, each one of them informative, educational, and downright enjoyable.
Here are ten fantastic podcasts guaranteed to make you think more creatively, communicate more clearly, and keep you connected to our fast-paced industry.
“As the marketing world shifts from a century of overt one-way messaging to a new-world order of two-way dialogue, we leave the age of persuasion and enter the era of influence,” says host and marketing guru Terry O’Reilly. The show highlights the indelible impact of marketing on our culture and economy, and tells incredible (but true) stories of some of the biggest hits and misses in advertising and branding. From hyper-targeting consumers to “giftvertising” and product placement, Under the Influence is a master class in marketing. More than a podcast, each episode is one of the best stories you’ll hear every week. So make some popcorn, put in the ear buds and enjoy every word.
Mignon Fogarty is more than the host of this must-have podcast; she’s every writer’s best friend and security blanket. The Grammar Girl podcast is “your friendly guide to the world of grammar, punctuation, usage, and fun developments in the English language,” and lest you think there really is no connection between grammar and fun, think again. Fogarty’s presentation style and lessons are as witty as they are informative. Where else could you learn the difference between “deep-seeded” and “deep-seated” with a reference to Game of Thrones? Grammar Girl teaches us to embrace our inner word nerd, write a proper sentence, and be better business communicators.
At “The Intersection of Technology and Marketing,” hosts John Wall and Christopher Penn jam-pack every episode with trending news and current events, and pull best practice from their professional and practical experience that cover a wide range of topics, from email marketing and multivariate testing, to social media marketing and “old-school” offline marketing campaigns. With episodes like “Microsoft Owns Your Face” and “Simon Sinek on Leadership,” the information is practical, usable, and highly engaging.
Hosted by accomplished business strategists B.L. Ochman and David Erickson, the weekly show is a fun, funny, and fast-paced look at how marketing and social media are affecting business, brands, and people. It covers must-know news and current events, highlights the best and worst marketing stories of the week, and looks at shiny new tools. Though delivered in an irreverent style, the hosts dive deep into big-brand hits and misses and provide great insight into why some campaigns work, and others don’t. Enjoy.
This isn’t a single podcast, but a collection of business-focused podcasts, and is the creation of communication professionals Neville Hobson and Shel Holtz, ABC. Each has its own style and content focus, and it’s impossible to list a favourite here. Some of the highlights within the FIR Network include:
- The Hobson & Holtz Report: A twice-weekly show (with hosts Hobson & Holtz), episodes examine the intersection of online communication and public relations.
- Inside PR: Industry veterans Gini Dietrich, Joseph Thornley and Martin Waxman look at the state of the PR industry, explore topical and provocative issues, and interview industry experts.
- Young PR Pros: Introduced in 2012 by Kristine D’Arbelles and Julia Kent, this show covers topics of interest to those at the early stages of their careers in PR and communications.
- FIR B2B: Hosted by Paul Gillin and Eric Schwartzman, FIR B2B covers the latest news in B2B communications.
- FIR on Strategy: Host Andrea Vascellari offers guidelines and tips to help listeners plan, execute and manage their strategic communication plans.
- FIR Interviews: Interviews with newsmakers and influencers from the online technology and organizational communication worlds. Recent episodes feature IABC Chair Michael Ambjorn, and Netvibes CEO Freddy Mini.
While not included here, each of these podcasts has an associated newsletter (hint: subscribe to these) and social media presence (hint: follow these podcasts).
Which podcasts are on your must-listen-to list? Tell us in the comments section.