Twitter for business, with guest host Laura Fitton, author of Twitter for Dummies
#smmeasure chat #20 recap
In last week’s chat, the #smmeasure Twitter chat community provided insightful social media recommendations as we discussed the year in review for social media. To wrap up #smmeasure for 2010, Laura Fitton aka @pistachio will be joining us to answer any questions about Twitter for business. A big “thank you” goes out to my co-host Sheldon Levine @sysomos and the entire #smmeasure chat community for making this such an enjoyable and informative Twitter chat.
If you weren’t able to join us this time around, here’s the full transcript. If you don’t have time to go over hundreds of tweets, here’s the recap:
Q1: What are the up-and-coming trends in social media marketing measurement?
- @pistachio: “We love what @jowyang did with his ROI pyramid: Tools to measure social media ROI in 2011: http://14t.me/idZ7Kx”
- @nigellegg: “I think this year was about information, next year interpretation and understanding -> insight” “more people using SM for deeper corp insight, rather than reactive tactical use.”
- @brightmatrix: “I hope to see continued emphasis on which social metrics to track, how, & their context. This chat is a catalyst”
- @grmeyer: “Match people who are commenting/engaging to the people who actually use your product”
- @40deuce: “I think this year people learned to monitor and listen, next year will be about deciphering what was heard and acting on it”
- @dunn_lauren: “This year was about buy in, next will be about learning to listen and effectively handle the information your hearing” “#socialmedia will be used more for corporate social responsibility”
Q2: How do you know which stats and figures you report actually mean anything?
- @pistachio: “DON’T just measure whatever is easiest to quantify. measure the effort by stats you measure your business success by” “yes, MANY different kinds of tools for small businesses: http://14t.me/hsZZhi and for brands http://14t.me/ekNTBP”
- @40deuce: “depends solely on your objectives for being in SM in the first place”
- @nigellegg: “lets start by only reporting stats that we understand and can justify. Don’t report stats coz we been told we should”
- @dunn_lauren: “#Socialmedia is about building relationships and sadly that is something almost impossible to measure”
Q3: How do you know whether improving stats are due to changes in your social media activity?
- @pistachio: “social media is infinitely more trackable than anything we’ve seen before. observe the ripple effects” “at @oneforty we use Kiss Insights to ask people what they need while they’re still on site”
- @journeyscript: “Ask your customers/volunteers/clients what’s working and why! If they like what you’re doing, they’ll tell you.”
- @nigellegg: “need to take into account everything going on around brand, try and find correlations. Stats. Math. Hard stuff ”
- @40deuce: “Always benchmark when measuring. Helps you understand what has changed so you can measure accordingly”
Q4: What predictions do you have for social media in 2011?
- @pistachio: “much more mainstream usage, and tools that better package SM content for people who want to consume it but not post”
- @nigellegg: “twitter becoming mainstream; Facebook growth slowing; Facebook & Google Places take off; 4square relegated to irrelevance.”
- @marketwire: “group buying upward trend continues, location based services downward spiral”
- @grmeyer: “Integration everywhere: “Social media” mentioned less; “Marketing” more; it’s less “creepy””
- @jgombita: “social media platforms that focus mainly on marketing will lose followers/fans.”
- @heidicohen: “social media matures & integrated across org. Req better metrics”
Here are some helpful social media measurement articles mentioned during the chat:
- @heidicohen: “Here’s some factors 2 measure=>Social Media Isn’t Free via @ClickZ http://bit.ly/8Yl9l9”
- @pistachio: “more measurement resources from @oneforty‘s community: @dirktherabbit http://14t.me/cjEwJW @bibinex http://14t.me/cSFSJw”
Words of wisdom from guest host Laura Fitton @pistachio:
- “I’ve long described twitter as a ‘global sensing and signalling mechanism’ think of it as earths intelligent skin.”
Join the Marketwire Facebook page to get #smmeasure weekly topics. If you have any questions for the community, tweet @smmeasure or @marketwire or send me an email nshin[at]marketwire.com. Keep track of all the #smmeasure chat recaps. Join the #smmeasure LinkedIn Group to connect with others interested in social media and measurement.
Our #smmeasure chat will be on break for the holidays and will resume Thursday, January 6th, 9:00 am PST, 11:00 am CST, 12:00 pm EST, 5:00 pm if you’re in London, and 3:00 am Friday if you’re in Melbourne. Our #smmeasure chat will be on break for the holidays and will resume Thursday, January 6. Have a great holiday!
See you in 2011!