Social media year in review
Posted By Marketwired On December 10, 2010 @ 5:49 pm In IR/PR | No Comments
#smmeasure chat #19 recap
The end of 2010 is quickly approaching so we wanted to take this opportunity to get the community’s input on what social media has meant to you. What was referred to as a fad quickly became a necessity. Judging from the responses, social media is not going anywhere.
If you weren’t able to join us this time around, here’s the full transcript . Don’t forget to join us next week as we bring in Laura Fitton (@pistachio ), author of Twitter for Dummies  and founder of oneforty.com , to celebrate the last #smmeasure chat of 2010. So, without further ado, here’s the recap:
Q1: As 2010 winds down, describe social media’s impact on you.
- @sabrina_scott: “It’s almost like a new way to look at the world, everything is a possible update/blog + may be useful to someone you know.”
- @TsarKasim: “On a personal level, social media (mainly Twitter) has led to more interactions through tweetups.”
- @brightmatrix: “SM is now 20-30% of my day job + quite a time investment for me, personally.” “SM, Twitter especially, has done more to broaden my professional network than anything else.”
- @buona_vita: “I am constantly learning, always thinking, and social media became a job, never would of thought in ’09!”
- @AlexConde: “Understanding of connectedness. We all network offline, social media helps you understand & work w/ those networks”
- @ana_adi: “social media helped me research, connect and expand. thanks 2 the connections created, some of my ideas got visibility & support”
- @hyperizeweb: “Twitter & SM has increased my intellectual capital 100X fold”
Q2: What lessons have you learned by using social media?
- @brightmatrix: “Use the vast amount of information from social intelligently & wisely. Don’t recycle; do your homework.”
- @buona_vita: “That it is impossible to know everything, and absorbing info is more important than ever.”
- @danperezfilms: “That if you say the same dumb things over & over (“Marketing is dead!”), people will start believing it…”
- @hyperizeweb: “You learn the process of engaging strangers and turning them into friends. Then you learn what is engaging.”
- @sabrina_scott: “Someone is always online and able to help and/or make you laugh if you need it – if you build the right networks.”
- @ana_adi: “i’ve learned that communicating coherently is important. i also learned that there are different tools 4 different objectives”
- @jgombita: “That people’s skins are a lot thinner in social media. They don’t agree w/ you, they unfollow or block, etc. Their loss! :-)”
- @dibbler46: “In-person relationships and online relationships drive each other. Face-to-face cements the connection.”
- @TsarKasim: “No matter what you say, it may be amplified for better or for worse – and quickly.”
- @jpuopolo: “I have learned that many of the lessons of real life apply on #SocialMedia as well!”
Q3: In January, we launched a free SM fitness program (sm10x30.com ). What were your favorite SM campaigns of ’10?
- @theadliber: “KFC scholarship for sure”
- @TsarKasim: “Klout + Virgin Airlines”
- @40deuce: “oh geez, so many great ones this past year. Where to start?? @OldSpice  videos maybe”
- @ana_adi: “I didn’t know about the SM fitness program. I loved how @KLM  handled the ash cloud – although this is not a campaign”
Q4: What advice would you give to those companies that were social media disasters?
- @brightmatrix: “Learn from your mistakes. Listen. Dedicate time & resources. DO NOT use interns to manage your online reputation.”
- @sabrina_scott: “It may seem like ‘just a tweet’ or ‘just a fb post’ but if you are unsure what to say, take time to strategize with your team.”
- @ana_adi: “well i’d ask first what the “disaster” was? thinking of SM in realistic terms is necessary – what you want, when & how?”
- @40deuce: “Listen to what your public is saying and always think before responding”
- @marketwire: “Don’t delete negative comments and treat the public with respect.”
- @ken_rosen: “That SM is like a lot of things (OneNote, triathlon…): you have to really jump in for a while to feel it. Later, can decide”
- @DMBileski: “Don’t make it about you make it about them.”
Q5: In one word, describe what social media is.
- Check out some of the responses on our social media corner LinkedIn group .
- Responses from the #smmeasure community include:
- “mind expanding”
- “modern day water cooler”
- “pontification (by the ignorant)”
- “thought provoking”
Check back here every Friday for chat recaps and transcripts. Join the Marketwire Facebook page  to get #smmeasure weekly topics. If you have any questions for the community, tweet @smmeasure  or @marketwire  or send me an email nshin[at]marketwire.com. Keep track of all the #smmeasure chat recaps .
Join the #smmeasure LinkedIn Group  to connect with others interested in social media and measurement. See you next week at 9:00 am PST, 11:00 am CST, 12:00 pm EST, 5:00 pm if you’re in London, and 3:00 am Friday if you’re in Melbourne.
See you next Thursday!
Article printed from @Marketwired Blog: http://blog.marketwired.com
URL to article: http://blog.marketwired.com/2010/12/10/social-media-year-in-review/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://blog.marketwired.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/smmeasure-reflection2.jpg
 full transcript: http://wthashtag.com/transcript.php?page_id=16193&start_date=2010-12-9&end_date=2010-12-9&export_type=HTML
 @pistachio: http://www.twitter.com/pistachio
 Twitter for Dummies: http://www.amazon.com/Twitter-Dummies-Computer-Tech/dp/0470768797/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294353669&sr=1-1
 oneforty.com: http://oneforty.com/
 sm10x30.com: http://blog.marketwired.comfile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Nicholas%20Shin/Local%20Settings/Temp/sm10x30.com
 OldSpice: http://twitter.com/OldSpice
 KLM: http://twitter.com/KLM
 social media corner LinkedIn group: http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=1795464&type=member&item=19449425&qid=f6fa8cd5-eb04-4bcc-9857-7e551334ed86
 Marketwire Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/marketwire
 @smmeasure: http://www.twitter.com/smmeasure
 @marketwire: http://www.twitter.com/marketwire
 #smmeasure chat recaps: http://blog.marketwired.com/tag/smmeasure/
 #smmeasure LinkedIn Group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=3258194
How to network to find new opportunities
How Much Social Media is Too Much?
Updates to MAP & Heartbeat, Powered by Sysomos: Influencer Communities, Instagram and more
What the Pittsburgh Pengins' James Neal Can Teach Brands About Twitter
Click here to print.